Y'ello folks, maybe it's useful for ye! Check it out:
Writing academic articles like journal in English is challenging to some people. We are often unsure whether our writing is already academic or not.
Actually, there is one feature/test in ms.words that can answer our doubt. We can use it to check how academic our writing is.
I wanna share the information as I believe it will be beneficial for my friends, especially for last year students.
Here are the Steps:
1. Click the File Tab, and then click Options.
2. Click Proofing.
3. Under When correcting spelling and grammar in Word, make sure the Check grammar with spelling check box is selected.
4. Select show readability statistics.
5. After you enable this feature, open a file that you want to check. Make sure the language is English US or UK.
6. Highlight the texts or paragraph that you want to check. Then, click review tab > spelling and grammar. After that, click no when there is a pop up to check the rest of the document.
7. When Word finishes checking the spelling and grammar, it displays information about the reading level of the document.
Notes: The one that you should see on the information box is the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level. For example, if your Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level is 7, that means your writing level is similar to 7th grade student's writing and suitable to be read by the same grade students. If you are a college student, the score that you are supposed to obtain should range from 13-16. That means your writing fulfills university writing standard and it's already academic.
The result can be considered accurate because the test rates text on U.S. school grade level. However, if you have non-English words in your writing or paragraph, the result might be slightly inaccurate.
I'll give you an example. I used my thesis abstract to be tested with this feature. In my abstract, I have several non-English words like Balai Bahasa and Jawa Timur. The result that I got after using this readability test is 17.2. In my case, 17.2 is still considered okay and academic. I concluded that the result might be slighly inaccurate because some non-English words are present in my text. Nevertheless, if you get higher than 17 even 20, that means your writing is too complicated and complex, not understandable.
In another word, your language mastery level is as same as Noam Chomsky. Too sophisticated until no one understands what you write. If you wanna remain ordinary human unlike Mr. Chomsky, consequently, you have to revise your text by simplyifing some sentences and breaking down your excessively long sentences (reducing the number of clauses in one sentence).
Thanks to my classmate for this tips .